An Introduction to ArcGIS Pro for GIS Newcomers
This two day course will introduce those new to GIS to the essential concepts you will need to kick-start your productivity with ArcGIS Pro. Through instructor-led sessions, demonstrations and exercises, you will learn about the ribbon-style interface, project-based organisation, and key capabilities of ArcGIS Pro. You will become familiar with GIS and ArcGIS Pro terminology, practice with tools for mapping and visualization, editing data, performing analysis and sharing your work.
You will be provided with the data and exercises so that you can work through them again in your own time.
Note: After completing this course you may wish to attend ArcGIS Pro 2 – Essential Workflows for ArcGIS Pro. The Essential Workflow course builds upon the skills learnt during this course by introducing techniques such as image management and advanced editing.
Continuing professional development (CPD) is an integral part of applying for and maintaining Chartered Geographer accreditation. Attendance of this course will provide the attendee with 10 CPD points. Click here to find out more.
If you are booking ArcGIS Pro for GIS Newcomers and ArcGIS Pro 2 – Essential Workflows at the same time, use this coupon to save 10% on ArcGIS Pro 2: PRO1-2
21st March 2024 – 22nd March 024, 15th April 2024 – 16th April 2024, 20th May 2024 – 21st May 2024, 17th June 2024 – 18th June 2024
- Getting started: New ArcGIS Pro projects, project structure, accessing data, ArcGIS Pro user interface.
- Geographic data: Introducing, creating & managing data, data formats, coordinate systems/spatial references.
- Finding information: Bookmarks, identifying features, configure pop-ups.
- 2D maps, layers and their properties.
- Working with symbology: Basemap layers, and feature symbology.
- Labelling and properties
- Analysis and geoprocessing: Analysis tools, ModelBuilder.
- Editing: Editing workflows, edit ribbon, manage templates.
- Sharing your work: Sharing projects, sharing maps and layers, sharing to ArcGIS Online, export a map or layout.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
“The course has exceeded my expectations. We have covered a lot in two days and I feel well-equipped to work with the software on my own. The training manual is excellent, particularly the structured exercises. I am sure that it will be very useful to return to the manual, along with the class exercises (thank you for providing these on a USB).”
Jayne Glass – University of the Highlands and Islands
“Very good introduction – given me the confidence to start getting to know the software and saved me a lot of time.”
Andrew Holden – Henderson Global Investors
“Came to the course looking to do a few specific tasks, very happy to report I will be using the software for a much wider range of functions.”
Michael Torsney – True North Surveys