Managing Geospatial Data in ArcGIS
Achieve simplified data management that supports your organisation’s needs.
This course takes you on an in-depth exploration of the geodatabase, the native data storage format for ArcGIS software. Best practices to create a geodatabase to centrally store and efficiently manage your organisation’s authoritative geospatial data are covered. You will develop skills needed to configure unique geodatabase features that ensure data integrity and accuracy over time and a thorough understanding of file and enterprise geodatabase capabilities.
Continuing professional development (CPD) is an integral part of applying for and maintaining Chartered Geographer accreditation. Attendance of this course will provide the attendee with 10 CPD points. Click here to find out more
5th June 2024 – 6th June 2024
- Why use a geodatabase: Create a new ArcGIS Pro project, inventory the data, create a file geodatabase, import a feature class into the geodatabase, create a feature dataset, import feature classes to the feature dataset, add metadata to the imported layers.
- Improving data integrity with geodatabase structure: What is a schema, using a geodatabase to improve data integrity, subtypes and domains in your organisation, using a data model to improve workflows, refining a data model, selecting a data model, working with data models.
- Associate nongeographic data with geographic data: Why associate nongeographic data with geographic data, types of nonspatial data, considerations with incorporating nonspatial data, basics of cardinality, spatial and nongeographic data connections, adding media files with attachments, using the Collector app with your geodatabase.
- Managing raster data: What is raster data, raster data in your organisation, raster data management issues, storing rasters in a geodatabase, what is a mosaic dataset, creating a mosaic dataset, advantages of mosaic datasets, mosaic dataset workflow.
- Designing geodatabase topologies: What is geodatabase topology, why use a topology, using topology in your organisation, how topology works, types of rules, topology rules for each workflow, using topology to correct geometry, topology design workflow.
- Migrating to an enterprise geodatabase: What is an enterprise geodatabase, comparison of types, compare different geodatabase types, benefits of an enterprise geodatabase, creating an enterprise geodatabase, building a connection, accessing an enterprise geodatabase, methods to add data to an enterprise geodatabase.
- Working with enterprise geodatabases: Types of users within an enterprise geodatabase, match the type of user, controlling user capabilities.
Or equivalent knowledge.
Esri UK & Ireland will provide the following software to use during class:
- ArcGIS Pro (Standard or Advanced)